Understanding requirements for building or renovating your home.

Gaining insights into the essential permits is imperative.

Discover information about license types, documentation requirements, waiting periods for permissions and more.

We have compiled key considerations for your understanding. Click below on the questions to view the answers.

Yes, you will need to obtain a Building Permit (Licencia de Obras) to carry out any construction or modification on a property. The need for this permit depends on the size and complexity of the work you plan to undertake.

In general, all construction projects must be reported to the Town Hall. However, specific requirements and procedures for obtaining the permit may vary depending on the location and local regulations.

Additionally, it is the responsibility of the promoter or developer to ensure that all necessary permits, including the Building Permit, are obtained before commencing any construction activities. Failure to obtain the required permits can result in legal consequences, including fines and potential halting of the construction project.

It is crucial for you if you are planning a renovation or new construction to be aware of and comply with local building regulations and permit requirements. This proactive approach not only helps in avoiding legal issues but also ensures a smoother construction process. Obtaining the necessary permits demonstrates a commitment to following the established guidelines and contributes to the overall legality and safety of the construction project.

In summary, if you are planning a renovation or new construction, be diligent in securing all required permits and approvals, taking into account local regulations, and ensuring that the construction project proceeds smoothly without incurring any fines or penalties.Feel free to contact us, and we will be happy to help you obtain the correct permit for your project.

Every work needs to be informed to the Town Hall. The size of the works determines if you need to ask for a Minor works permission or a Major works permission. For each of them, you will need to submit different documents and information to the Town Hall.

Minor works: They are less technically complex and do not affect the architectural configuration or essential and structural elements of the buildings. In general, these are works that do not require a project according to the Building Planning Law.

Major works:They involve more technical complexity, and it is necessary to submit a technical project that should be approved by the Town Hall.

You should apply for either a Minor works permission or a Major works permission. For each of them, you need to submit different documents and information to the Town Hall.

It’s important to note that there are specific cases where the process can be expedited, and there is an option to request a type of license that falls between major and minor works.

For a clear understanding of which license applies to your case, please contact us, and we will assist you.

The required documentation may vary based on the complexity and type of the project, but typically, it includes detailed project plans, technical reports, and various forms.

Engaging with an architect is advisable in order to guide you through the specific documentation needed for your project in compliance with local regulations.

In order to get permission for your works, you need to pay a tax to the Town Hall. This tax is different in every town but it is always a percentage of the material execution budget (PEM – Presupuesto de Ejecución Material in Spanish). It is the budget for the materials and cost of materials and labor, necessary for the execution of a work. This way, it is always a bigger tax for a new house than for a small renovation, as it is proportional to the cost of the work.

You need to consider two different fees:
Fee for building licence. It aims to monitor the adequacy of the project with the provisions of municipal regulations.
Tax on constructions, installations and works. It is a building permit fee needed to start the project.

To get the work permit you must pay a deposit as a guarantee for the replacement of public infrastructures that could be affected by the execution of works and another as a guarantee of the management of waste from construction and/or demolition.

First of all, you need to know that every Town Hall has its specific regulations and processing times. To provide the correct answer to this question, you can ask us about a specific town and type of works.

In general, it is faster to get permission for minor works; sometimes, you just need to present the documents to inform the Town Hall about the works, and you can start.

For major works, it takes more time. This is because they need to ensure that the submitted project complies with regulations. The process involves different people from the administration checking the project, and the time depends on the number of previous projects they have to review, making it challenging to specify a precise timeframe.

To be realistic, it usually takes a matter of months. Therefore, if you are planning major works, it is crucial to submit all the documents at the right time to avoid delays.

Yes, the renovation of a kitchen is considered a minor work. For projects of small scale like this, it is necessary to inform the Town Hall and pay the relevant fees, but you do not need to wait for their response to proceed with the work.

You cannot start the works without having the permission from the Town Hall. Once you have received your license, you can commence the works within a period, generally, of one year.

In general, you need to have the permission or have informed the Town Hall about the works, depending on the type of works.

If, after obtaining the license, the works have not been completed within the established period, it is possible to request an extension of the license. If, despite the term granted by the extension (or extensions), the work is not finalized, the license could expire, resulting in the loss of all rights and the obligation to request another one to complete the works.

The duration of the license also depends on the specific Town Hall and the type of works.

For more information about your particular case and estimated processing times, do not hesitate to contact us.

It’s worth noting that in some cases, you may not need to wait, but rather, it could be sufficient to submit the necessary documentation and pay the required fees, depending on the specific circumstances.

Starting construction without the necessary permits can lead to legal consequences, including fines and potential halting of the construction project. It’s essential to obtain all required permits before commencing any construction activities to ensure compliance with local regulations.

Any changes to the approved project typically require additional approvals. It’s crucial to consult with us before making any modifications to ensure compliance with regulations and to obtain the necessary approvals for alterations.

A Licence of First Occupation is a licence issued by the Town Hall. It has the purpose of accreditate that the works have been executed according to the project that have been originally presented to the Town Hall.

It is granted when the works have been completed and it confirms that they have been done in accordance with the terms and urban applicable conditions.

There is also a fee associated with obtaining this license.



Feel free to contact us and ask about any specific concerns or details related to your construction or renovation project.